Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Kim's Antique Quilt

My client, Kim, found this quilt in the back of a closet. It was begun by her grandmother decades ago. She had cut out the LeMoyne Stars with templates and pieced the blocks by hand. What a family heirloom!

I was happy to help get this project finished for her. I decided to use a swirly, whirly all-over pattern, because I needed to move freely throughout the piece to tack it down. Many of the hand-sewn seems were fragile and starting to open up, so I used a lot of quilting to give the quilt more structural integrity.

All quilting was free-motion, hand-guided on a longarm quilting machine.










Being a non-sewist, Kim hired me to assemble, affix, and finish the binding on this quilt. I attached the binding to the front of the quilt with my longarm, while it was still mounted on my frame. Then I removed it from the frame, trimmed off excess batting and backing, wrapped the binding around to the back side, and stitched it in place with my domestic sewing machine. Here you see the back side.


Follow-up: I LOOOOVE this photo that came from Kim. Her mom was pleased with the quilt!


No comments:

Post a Comment