Friday, September 15, 2017

Owls Quilt

Isn't this quilt DARLING?! Lisa brought it to me enthusiastically. She and I have lots in common (our love of Anne of Green Gales, our love of Heritage Park, our love of traditional quilt-making!). We got to talking and visiting, and almost forgot about discussing plans for this quilt!

But we did finally get to the order of the day, and she really wanted traditional quilting motifs. She loves feathers, swirls, flowy shapes. She does NOT like angular, geometric, modern quilting motifs. And she said specifically, NO STIPPLING. Other than that, she let me take this quilt top and run with it.

First, I outlined each lovely little owl. These Civil War reproduction fabrics are so delicious. On the bigger owls, I stitched in the ditch on the X-seams. And on the littler owls, I just SITD on their beak seams. Then I echoed around each owl - varying repetitions, widths, and fillers on each owl. Then I divided up the background with a scrolling/swirling shape and filled around them with smaller scaled meandering feathers. The background fabric is also pretty yummy in real life. It's a coarser/looser weave of a linen-cotton blend, called Essex Linen Blend by Robert Kaufman.

For those wondering about the pattern. Lisa informs me that it uses the Quick Curve rulers from Sew Kind of Wonderful, which makes these curved seams a total snap (according to her!). She used NO pins!

Lisa and her daughter, Laura, came to pick it up today and told me they LOVED it. Me, too! Laura even dropped off a quilt that she designed and her mom pieced, which she will take with her when she goes to university next year. Check back later for that pictorial!

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on a longarm quilting machine.








1 comment: